Project CurseD



About the Project

Project CurseD was a independent solo project where I created an entire third-person adventure game level from scratch in the Unity 3D Engine.


The game development cycle was 6 months during the course of two college semesters.


The game was made to be a showcase of my skills as a Level Designer, 3D Artist & Programmer/Scripter. The game features one level, two fully rigged and animated characters, puzzles, a dialogue system, an inventory system, a camera switching system, a custom movement system and animated cutscenes.


The game was created using a variety of programs including Autodesk Maya, zBrush, Topogun, nDO, dDo, Mormoset Toolbag, Cinema Director (Unity plugin), Mixamo AutoRigger and the Unity Game Engine.






Process: Overall Production


In order to get a solo-game prototype done in six months entirely by myself, I created a development process that would allow me to do this:


  • I started the first three months by learning the various skills that I was still lacking. Sculpting for Characters, Programming in unity, Quicker workflows for art asset creation and prototyping the game systems.
  • I experimented with different ways to animate the characters quickly, and ended up using to speed up that process.
  • For cutscene scripting and creation itself, I experimented and learned to use the Cinema Director Plugin for the Unity Game Engine.
  • I created two levels with unique styles, themes and puzzles, and then brought one of them to completion.






Process: Level Design & Creation


After deciding on the level I was going to build, I went forward with level Design:



Level 1 Part 1 Layout

Level 1 Part 2 Layout


And here are the Final Engine Shots for level 1:


projectcursed01thumb  projectcursed02thumb  projectcursed03thumb



Art Assets were also created and placed for Level 2, but the level was not completed for the initial protype. Some Previews:


projectcursed07thumb projectcursed08thumb projectcursed09thumb






Process: Systems Design & Programming


The adventure game I wanted to create was inspired by both Point and Click Adventure games, and the classic Resident Evil games. I designed and programmed a few systems in order to realize my vision:




  • Camera Switch System: Taking inspiration from older games from the PSOne era, I created a script that would switch the camera and perspective of the viewport depending on which area you were in.


  • Dialogue System: I also wanted the game to have a deep, engaging story, and for that I created a dialogue system that would display whatever text I placed in the Unity Editor. This system was designed to be multi-purpose and it also was used to give the player feedback when they examined an object in the environment.


  • Inventory System: Adventure games are about finding and using items, and in order to do this I created an inventory system, complete with an “equip” mechanic, so that a player could equip whatever item they wanted to use. The Inventory screen display all items the player currently had, their description and the ability to equip and un-equip them.
  • Movement System: The default third person movement in Unity was not suiting my needs, so I created my own movement script. This was based on the controls present in games like Resident Evil One. After playtesting, I also decided to create an alternate, more contemporary control scheme that would be more inline with current 3D games as well.






Process: Character Creation


For the game, I created two characters, following the same process that I developed via learning and experimentation:


Male Character – Zane


Female Character – Maya



  • I started by Modelling a Base Model in Maya, and then bringing it into zBrush.
  • Once In Zbrush, I then spent a good while sculpting the character, and getting all the details.
  • After the High Resolution Mesh was done, I then Decimated it and brought it into Topogun.
  • Once in Topogun, I retopologized the model and created the low Resolution Mesh.
  • After Retopologization, I then UVed the low res model and baked out the normal maps.
  • With the normal maps done, I moved in Photoshop and using nDO and dDO I finished the Texturing process.
  • I tested and checked out the Texture quality in Marmoset toolbag, before calling it done.
  • Once Textured and done, the model was exported as an .fbx and uploaded to
  • With’s AutoRigger, I was then able to rig and animate the character model, before bringing it into the unity game engine.


Both characters were kept under 8.5k Tris, With all Texture Maps at 1k.